Monday, April 20, 2009

Week of 4/12 - Wrap Up

It was not a big grocery week AT ALL because I'd done such great stocking-up the prior weeks. The sale at Publix extended through this Wednesday, so there are a few buy-one/get-one things that I want to pick up before it's over, but for the most part, we were set for this week.

We did eat out twice due to much pleading by 2 kids that had to take standardized tests last week (a big big deal if you don't have kids in the Georgia school system... they scare these poor kids to death about the tests... but I digress) ANYWAYS, we went out for pizza the night before the test because that's what my 2 hard-working boys wanted. :)

My only shopping excursions last week were at Walgreens and Publix.


Publix

4 - Fresh Express bagged lettuce ($2.50 each w/ $1 off each coupon) = $6
1/2 lb - Boar's Head deli turkey = $4.50 ish
1/2 lb - Publix deli ham = $3.50ish
1 - Publix Bleach .01 (penny item of the week)

Estimated Total $14.01

33% savings (this is an estimate, but probably pretty close)

that was it. Told you.... nothing too exciting. I don't even have my receipt with me, so I can't tell you how much I saved.... but the ham and turkey were not on sale.... only the Penny Bleach and the Fresh Express, which was on sale AND had a Publix in-ad coupon.


Wallgreens

Wallgreens was a completely different story. I saved a TON at Wallgreens this week, but only on a couple items.

A week ago Saturday I was in Wallgreens picking up some things from that week's sale and I saw that they already had items from this past week's sale posted. I had planned to buy pony-tail holders (something I LOSE a lot of... how, I have no clue, but I go through a lot of them!) on sale last week, but saw that the Register Rewards bonus sign was already posted. The sale was if you spent $2 on the pony-tail holders, you got a $2 Register Reward back... making them free (as long as you plan a future purchase at Wallgreens.)

WELL... this time they were TOTALLY free! Here's what happened. I asked the girl working in the cosmetics department (this was my regular Wallgreens, so I'm slowly getting to know all the cashiers there...which is a good thing!) if the sale had already started and if the computers were already printing the Register Rewards even though it was Saturday and the sale didn't start till Sunday.

She called the manager over to ask and the manger asked what I was planning to buy. I said "pony-tail holders that have a $2 Register Reward, but I can wait to buy them next week if they're not printing up yet". She said "how much is the Register Reward?" and I said "$2" she then asked me how many I was planning to buy I said that i'd probably purchase 2 in 2 different transactions.... "but it's not a big deal, I can wait till next week." She said "no, let me just ring them in... ok... here you go... they're free!" I was stunned. I KNOW this was not normal. I should have at LEAST had to pay sales-tax.... but I was happy to get some free pony-tail holders!!!

SO... this week's Wallgreens deal went like this....

2 - Scunci Pony Tail Holder (28 count)

Total Out of Pocket $0 (value of items $5)

Total Savings 100%


I have a little more shopping to do this week than I did last week. I still need to get a lot of fresh ingredients, similar to the salad fixings I had last week. I need more fruits/veggies/deli stuff this week, so I'm not expecting huge savings... but hoping for a few freebies!!!

I'll try to post my plan later after I've formulated it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Made by Lena